Lac Pelletier, named after Norbert Pelletier, a Metis who held the first land grant in the vicinity before 1900, has long been recognized as a sweet oasis on the prairies. Buffalo hunting, abundant whitefish and open range are part of the history that makes up the beautiful Lac Pelletier Regional Park. Picture the sod house that once stood at the restful camping sites of the Point. It was here that the Lemire family was raised. They rented boats and supplied the local Swift Current store with fish. Better yet, imagine a cave at the southern end of the lake that was home to a French priest who taught catechism and the Cree language to the locals.
The sandy beach on the east side of the lake was once home to a circular tearoom, dance hall, change house and confectionary. The McLaughlins are credited with the resort’s early beginnings, later owned by the Quankenbush family and finally the Darling family. The Darling family planted trees and continued landscaping the park.
The Regional Park was established in November 1964 and attributes its success to the volunteers and neighbours who helped it grow.